Ironman Florida 2013 Finish Line

Ironman Florida 2013 Finish Line
The Iron Year, the "Celebration"

Triathlon Trilogy II 2013

Triathlon Trilogy II 2013
My Support Crew! Triathlon Trilogy II 2013

Father's Day Triathlon (Trilogy Part I), 2012

Father's Day Triathlon (Trilogy Part I), 2012
Father's Day Triathlon, June 2012

First Marathon with the boys

First Marathon with the boys
My loyal support crew at my first marathon in Jan. 2011!

Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Iron Year at 310 days to go - basic road map for the year


My "official" training for the Ironman itself will begin 26 weeks out, on May 20, 2013.  Before that, I am using two big races as pre-training events to focus on.  First up is the ING Miami Marathon on January 27, 2013.  This will be my third Miami Marathon and fourth overall marathon (I also ran Marine Corps in 2011).  That will create a base of long-distance running endurance that I can carry forward into the remainder of the year. 

After that, I am focusing on base-building and strength training, with the competitive focus being provided by a backdrop of preparing for Ironman 70.3 Florida (a half iron race) in Haines City, FL (just south of Orlando) on May 19, 2013.    My results in that race should give me an idea of what I can realistically expect of myself in November.  I raced it in 6:35 last year, and hope to achieve a significant improvement this year.  It is a very convenient coincidence for me that I plan to use a 26-week training plan for the Ironman and that plan begins May 20, the day after the race in Haines City.

In addition to the marathon and half iron, I plan to race two Olympic triathlons in April and September - Nautica South Beach and Escape to Miami.  These are my favorite local triathlons and I will work each one into the schedule as appropriate.  I may also work in one half marathon (standalone) early in the year and one sprint.  But given that big mountain looming in November, there will not be a lot of small races this year, 6-7 tops. 

Overall, as a racer I can improve a lot in several areas - more consistent focus on cross-training and strength training, including stretching and flexibility, more discipline during the week, and more attention to rest, recovery and nutrition.  I have a schedule of core exercises, stretching exercises and posture exercises that I am using to supplement the actual swim bike and run workouts.  Given the limited time constraints most of us face, it is easy to neglect type of training in favor of actual swim bike and run workouts that form the main core of tri training.  However, for that very reason, I feel a great deal of improvement is to be found in this area.

Now, off to run tempo miles for the marathon!  Talk to you soon.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment