Ironman Florida 2013 Finish Line

Ironman Florida 2013 Finish Line
The Iron Year, the "Celebration"

Triathlon Trilogy II 2013

Triathlon Trilogy II 2013
My Support Crew! Triathlon Trilogy II 2013

Father's Day Triathlon (Trilogy Part I), 2012

Father's Day Triathlon (Trilogy Part I), 2012
Father's Day Triathlon, June 2012

First Marathon with the boys

First Marathon with the boys
My loyal support crew at my first marathon in Jan. 2011!

Monday, November 11, 2013

Ten Lessons Learned from Completing Ironman

I hope that this journey is more than a medal and fond memory.  I want to carry it forward.  In the Army we followed every training exercise with "lessons learned" to capture what went right and what went wrong.  What we should do and not do.  In my event, I have no regrets.  I trained as hard as a busy married professional father of two could possibly train and finished my race healthy, uninjured and in good spirits.  Here is what I hope to take away: 

1.  You can do anything you set your mind to if you commit, plan and do the footwork.
2.  You will need the support of those around you to make it come true.  You make it happen alone, but you are not alone - no one is an Island.
3.  Train now, find the motivation later.
4.  Show up Every Damn Day and make it happen.  No excuses.
5.  Life will happen.  Adjust.
6.  Realizing a dream is a process and a journey.  Enjoy the journey and learn from it.
7.  Plan your race, then race your plan.  Exercise self-discipline.
8.  You can do more than you think you can.  Dig deep.
9.  Believe in yourself.  Trust the hard work you've done.
10.  When you work and suffer to make a dream come true, there is no joy like it! 

4 comments:

  1. You did it!!! How good this must feel to have accomplished after so many months of preparation. Really like your lessons. An inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz! Thanks! You have been rooting for me and supporting me the whole time. It is really a four year ride that began in November 2009 when I had the temerity to register for the 2010 ING Miami Half Marathon and that seemed like a big mountain. Then the 2011 ING Miami Marathon, then the 2011 Miami Man Half Iron, and now the Big One! I have other goals but this was the last "big first" I think!

      Delete
  2. Loved your lessons and couldn't agree more. Congrats IronMan!

    ReplyDelete